How to Write a Perfect Research Essay?
What is a Research Essay?
A research essay is a type of academic writing that involves the author’s original research on a particular topic and analysis of research findings. When it comes to academic research, students need to answer a particular question. This is why they refer to the data taken from the existing scientific sources. Writing a research paper can be quite stressful, as it often takes pretty much time to collect the necessary data and interpret it in a scientific manner. For example, if you need to write a research paper on the consequences of air pollution, you will create a research proposal on it, highlight the most important points, and find the most credible sources. Although a research essay usually focuses on personal knowledge, it still needs to meet the general academic requirements.
Basic Pre-Writing Steps to Take
You may have lots of ideas in your head and still not know how to start a research essay. This is where a pre-writing stage can be useful, as it will give logical coherence to your ideas. Thus, doing a little extra work at the beginning can save you time. Let’s explore four primary steps to be taken before the actual research essay writing.
- Brainstorming: It’s not a new writing method, but it’s definitely one of the most effective ones. It will let you put all your ideas about a topic together. Afterward, you can pick the best ideas and make up a list. In the process of brainstorming, you will notice that some of your ideas are interrelated, which will help you form an outline more easily.
- Freewriting: If you have a general topic but are not sure what exactly you want to discuss, freewriting will help you generate ideas automatically. Within certain timeframes, you will be writing your thoughts in full sentences as they come into your mind. The main point is not to look back at what you have written.
- Clustering: This method is close to freewriting, but it has a different format. Here you need to write just keywords, not the complete ideas. Then, you should write your associations with the keywords by forming a visual map. This will make it easy for you to choose the ideas you think are best suited for your assignment.
Research Essay Types
Depending on the professor’s instructions, the list of sources, and the number of pages, we can distinguish two types of research essays . These are typical and serious essays.
A typical research paper is a medium-sized essay that contains the analyzed evidence. For example, college students learn how to research and analyze topics. They don’t need to conduct a scientific experiment to collect the necessary data for further interpretation. Instead, they use research studies available at the library and on the Internet. In other words, students are expected to conduct research through the prism of primary and secondary sources.
A serious research paper is a long essay that is based on real experiments. For example, university students analyze the information from existing studies to expand or disapprove the covered topic. If they want to prove the findings, they must provide real evidence by conducting surveys, questionnaires, or other types of research methods. Even a small mistake in calculations will make you start everything from the very beginning. As you can guess, this kind of research takes a lot of time to conduct.
Research Essay Outline
Even if you are familiar with academic writing, you will need an outline while working on a research paper. It’s enough to keep it concise if you want to organize your work properly. Let’s go deeper into details.
The introduction consists of a thesis and supporting points. You need to introduce a research problem and an argument to readers in order to give them a better understanding of what to expect from your paper. It’s all about preparing their mind to start thinking about your topic before you even start writing. Depending on the general size of the research paper, the introduction can’t cover more than 2 or 3 paragraphs. Make sure to keep it simple and easy to read.
Now that you have introduced your research problem and argument to readers, it’s time to provide sufficient evidence. This is where your body paragraphs come in. Depending on the professor’s instructions, you will need to stick to the requested size of this section. An average research essay has at least three supporting arguments to help defend, prove, and explain your thesis. Make sure to put your weakest point first and your strongest argument last to keep readers’ interest till the end.
Your conclusion will be more or less similar to the introduction. But instead of your goals, you will present the results of the conducted research. In other words, you will summarize your main points and restate your thesis. Make sure to fit all this information into 2-3 paragraphs, not more.
List of References
While a personal statement essay doesn’t need references, a research essay won’t be complete without them. Ideally, you should make up a list of references before starting a writing process in order to have enough support for your arguments. There is no universal requirement for the number of references to be used in a research paper. But you will surely need to find at least 3-5 sources for every argument.
While there are some general rules for a research essay outline, your professor may have some additional instructions for you. Make sure to read your assignment carefully not to miss a single detail.
Research Essay Template Preview:
Research Essay Template Download:
Biology Research Topics
- An Overview of The Pathogen’s Biology in The Immune System
- Analysis of Homeostasis in Biology
- Analysis of Substance Abuse Through Biological, Psychological and Sociological Perspectives
- Anton Van Leeuwenhoek – The Father of Microbiology
- Biological Activities of Essential Oils
- Biological Activities of Strigolactones
- Biological and Psychological Theories on Juvenile Offenders
- How Biological Determinism Affects The Criminology Stage
- How Biological Factor Controls Population Dynamics
- Overview of The Biological Activities of Isoflavones
Nursing Research Topics
- Leadership in Nursing
- Importance of Nursing Theories
- Nursing in World War II
- Risk Management in Nursing Practice
- Ethical Dilemma in Nursing: Abortion and Euthanasia
- The Importance of Cultural Competence in Nursing
- Florence Nightingale and Her Impact on Nursing
- Mentorship in a Nursing
Psychology Research Topics
- Research in LGBTQ Psychology
- The Psychology of Hate Crimes
- Psychological and Physical Well-being of Women in the XIX Century
- Two Different Approaches Used to Explain the Psychological Phenomenon of Schizophrenia
- Abortion: Post Psychological Effects
- Psychological Pain and Victims of Holocaust
- Two Ways in which Psychology Contributes to the Criminal Justice System
- A Study of The Psychological Affects of Video Games on Children and Young Adults
- Psychological Concept of The Stanford Prison Experiment
- Research Paper on The Psychology of a Serial Killer
Psychology Topics To Research
- Evolutionary-psychological Perspective of Racism
- Humanistic Psychology and Community Psychology
- Internet Paradox: a Social Technology that Reduces Social Involvement and Psychological Well-being
- Investigating The Genesis of Stereotyping Women Sexually, Physiologically and Psychologically
- Physical and Psychological Consequences of Long Term Drug Use
- Physiological and Psychological Demands of Climbing
- Psychological Differences of Men and Women
- Psychological Effects of Chronic Pain
- Psychological Wellbeing and Psychology Distress
- Psychologists Views on Confirmation Bias
Psychology Paper Topics
- Psychology and Neuroscience: Cognitive Development
- Psychology and The Insanity Defense
- Psychology as a Pseudoscience Or Real Science
- Social Psychology in The Film 12 Angry Men
- Specific Psychological Disorders: Nature Vs Nurture
- Sports Psychology
- The Physiological and Psychological Development and Changes During The Adolescence Period of an Individual
- The Physiological and Psychological Implications of a Vegetarian/vegan Diet on Endurance Athletes
- The Psychological Criticism of Emily in William Faulkner’s “A Rose for Emily”
- The Psychological Model of Attatchment Theory
- The Representation of Human Psychological Development in The Breakfast Club
- The Role of Forensic Psychology in Court Cases
Sociology Research Topics
- Post Modern Political Sociology
- A Sociological Perspective on My Family
- Analysis of Abortion Through Sociological Theories
- Analysis of Sociological Perspective of Conflict
- Analysis of Substance Abuse Through Biological, Psychological and Sociological Perspectives
- Love in Sociological Contents
- Sociological Imagination: Interpretation of Private Concerns and Public Issues
- Sociology and Culture: Analysis of France and Canada
- The Sociological Imagination, Structural, Structuration and Functional Theories
Immigration Topics For Research Paper
- A Problem of Immigration in Modern World
- American Population and Illegal Immigration
- The Immigration Reform in America
- Human and Drug Trafficking Across the US-Mexico Border
- Illegal Immigration and Crime
- Illegal Immigration and Human Trafficking
- Illegal Immigration and its Effects on Society
- Immigration Policy in Texas
- The Social Theories Behind Illegal Immigration
- Is Illegal Immigration Good for our Country?
- American Dream: Immigration Research Paper
More Topic Ideas
Research Essay Examples
The use of a research essay example may help you create an excellent academic paper without any additional investments of time and money. Although you still need to conduct your individual research and analysis, you won’t have to struggle with the right structure and format. If you want to see a couple of good examples, follow the links below:
More Essay Examples
Research Essay Writing Tips
How to write a research essay? Apart from the general information on the structure and organization of research content, is there something else you need to know? Follow these simple but useful tips to make a great research paper:
- Forget about contractions. A research essay needs to be written in a formal style only. This is why you should forget about contractions.
- Avoid clichés. Clichés will make your research essay look less serious and less convincing. Even if you use them, make sure that they are suitable for the covered topic.
- Focus on academic vocabulary. By using academic vocabulary in your research essay, you make your argument sound more convincing. Ideally, you should avoid or minimize the use of such words as think, use, and sound.
- Make your argument clear. Having a clear argument is what makes your research essay academically correct. By using strong words in your argument, you will be able to persuade your reader.
- Express the right point of view. While writing your research essay, make sure that you are writing in the third or first person. This requirement comes with the official style of writing.
- Use topic sentences and transitions. You should start every paragraph with a topic sentence. It will present the main concept or idea of a paragraph. Thanks to transition sentences, you can enable a smooth flow between your ideas within a paragraph.
- Format your document properly. Once you are done with the writing process, check the formatting requirements for your research essay. Every tiny inaccuracy can cost you an excellent grade.
Write My Research Essay for Me, Please!
Most students spend hours studying and still fail to deal with all academic assignments. When it comes to research essay writing, things get even more complicated. Unfortunately, not every student has the necessary skills to perform this kind of work. Of course, the use of a research essay sample can be of great help, but it won’t guarantee you an excellent result.
In a situation like this, you have no other choice but to send a “Write my research essay for me, please!” request to professional writers. Luckily, there are a lot of writing services that know everything about research essay writing, and WriteMyEssayToday is not an exception. Learning will become easier if you trust your academic success to experts.